The Museum of Education was founded in 1974 as cultural-educational and research institution. Its present-day appearance is defined by its mission – seeking, gathering, researching and promoting of the cultural values related to the educational development of Bulgaria.
The museum is one of a kind in Europe with its permanent exhibition following Bulgaria education’s history from the IX century till today. It is situated in the west wing of the first high school until Liberation – the Aprilov High School, which building is declared a cultural monument in 1979.
The museum’s exhibition lies on 435 sq. m., including 4 halls and 4 reconstructions - of a monastery school, physics and natural studies room, peer-teaching method school and model of Froebel’s kindergarten. These show the relation between the Bulgarian school and the social-economical and cultural development of the country through the centuries.
The museum possesses valuable editions of the Gabrovian school library and Vasil Aprilov’s personal library. Among the editions there is
The original editions of Sophronii Vrachanski’s “Nezabravka”, “Riben Bukvar” of doctor Peter Beron, the only completely preserved set of the second edition of the peer-teaching tables of Neofit Rilski, written for the Gabrovian school in 1848, stand out.
Address: 15 Aprilovksa street
Phone: +359 66/800770; 800440